Good health care and improved well-being begins with a nutritious morning drink. There are different people with their own ideas of what to have as a drink in the morning. From a simple slice of lemon in water to a concoction of wheat grass, or chilli, ginger and garlic a refreshing and hydrating drink is the first port of call to re-hydrate the body at the start of the day. So a suggestion I share is lemon, lime, peppermint and star anise.
Lemons offer vitamins C and B6 and mineral potassium. Other plant compounds found in lemons and offering health benefits are citric acid, hesperidin, diosmin, eriocitrin, D-limonene.
Limes offer vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, and minerals Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium and small amount of sodium. Plant compounds found in limes and offering health benefits are citric acid.
Peppermint offer vitamins A, B9, C, and minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and contain quite a few health promoting compounds; menthol, menthone, menthyl acetate, limonene, pulegone, caryophyllene, and pinene. Additionally terpenoids, flavonoids eriocitrin, hesperidin, kaempferol
Star anise offers vitamins A, B, C and minerals calcium and phosphorus. Health promoting compounds found in star anise are Shikimic acid, linalool,
WebMD shares the following statements about star anise:
1. ‘People try taking star anise for respiratory tract infections, lung swelling (inflammation), cough, bronchitis, the flu (influenza), swine flu, and bird flu.
2. They also use it for digestive tract problems including upset stomach, gas, loss of appetite, and colic in babies.
3. Some women use star anise for increasing the flow of breast milk, promoting menstruation, and easing childbirth.
4. Star anise is also used for increasing sexual drive (libido) and treating symptoms of “male menopause.”
5. Some people inhale star anise to treat respiratory tract congestion.’
WebMD confirm that star anise contain shikimic acid that is used in the production of oseltamivir/Tamiflu used in flu treatment but contradict this by stating that there